We are currently seeking like-minded folks to join the project. Ideally, an interested person will come stay awhile and see how living at Sycamore Farm Community fits for them and for us. As of September 2016, our main house is occupied by Edmund, Sapphyre, Evan and Kaya. The RV currently accommodates guests who are floating through but could be housing for an interested human joining us. Never fear – the RV has a propane heater for the winter months! There is also the potential for at two more bedrooms to be constructed in our currently-being-renovated trailer: construction motivation will manifest when the interested humans appear! If you are interested in community building from the ground up, then please send us an email/letter (see format below) which will offer our community an opportunity to get to know you a little before we invite you into our home. The Letter of Introduction should be about 1-2 pages—if it’s too short, we won’t be able to get a good sense of who you are. It should include the following:
- your legal name
- the name you generally go by
- your age
- your gender
- the work or studies in which you are presently involved
- your work history
- your hobbies and interests
- how you heard about Sycamore Farm Community
- why you are interested in visiting community, and why Sycamore in particular
- any physical ailments or limitations (e.g. back problems) which would prevent you from doing certain kinds of work
- any special skills you have or work you like or dislike, e.g. indoor work vs. outdoor work
- if you have any children, and their ages, even if you are not planning on visiting with them.
- your permanent postal address (or “most permanent”)
- a phone number where you can be reached previous to your visit
- if you are emailing us from a school-based address, please include an additional non-school email address as well
- emergency contact information: we need information for a relative or friend who we can contact in case of an emergency during your visit. Please send the person’s full name, postal address, email address(es), their relationship to you, and most importantly 24-hour phone number(s). (if you’re from outside of North America, please include a US or Canadian contact as well, if you can.)
If you’d like to send your letter via USPS, then please send it to P.O.Box 1157 Buchanan, VA 24066.
Once we’ve received your letter, we will contact you as soon as possible about next steps.